Friday, September 13, 2013

Who is Rescuing Who?

Recently my son and I started volunteering at Days End Horse Rescue in Woodbine, Maryland.  The funny thing about this particular volunteer job is that I thought we would be doing something good for the horses and in the process my son would learn the valuable lesson that it is better to give than to receive.  A funny thing has happened along the way... 

One of my favorite movie lines is from a Chevy Chase movie called Funny Farm.  It's one of those movies that if you blinked, you probably missed it, but I've always found it hysterical.  I could probably quote most of the lines from it, but there is one where Chevy's character is having a hard time making friends in the new town he has moved to.  He is passing a Golden Retriever dog farm when he stops on a dime.. "If I can't make a friend, I'll buy one!"  In my typical story telling fashion, this doesn't have much to do with this little story except that I thing it rings true for a lot people considering the purchase of a horse.  My guess is that most of us see them as majestic, beautiful spirited creatures with gentle dispositions and an eagerness to be with us and please us-hence our reason for buying one.  The problem is that without really thinking it through, that horse might just end up needing a rescue. 

I digress.  Upon orientation at the horse farm, the crew gives us a thorough overview of what the farm is all about and how the horses end up there. Then they set about giving us general horse knowledge and how and what we can do to help.

Within a week, we sign up for morning at the farm and within a month, we are old hands.  We now know the ins and outs of feeding, grooming, basic handling and the best part.. mucking stalls and pastures.  I won't lie.  It's hard work.  We leave there and can barely stand from exhaustion.

Here's the thing... with a whole lot of hard work we've bought our friend. Not in the real sense of "buying" and the horses do go up for sale, but in the sense that our hearts are full.  We look in the eyes of those once neglected and abused horses and know they love us... and we love them.  If Chevy Chase had been passing a Horse Rescue like Days End in that movie, it would have been a short movie.

I'm truly not sure who has benefited more from our volunteer work, the horses or us, but if I had to guess, I'd say it is us.  My teenage son actually requested to work there on a recent day off of school and I must say,  I almost fell out of my chair!  I think the fresh air, sunshine and constant companionship of those adoring souls has left us both feeling better about the world in general.  One additional benefit I'd be remiss by not mentioning is that my arm and leg muscles seem a whole lot less jiggly. 

 Finally and best of all... I have to wonder if this isn't actually adding years to our lives.  After all, our hearts sure seem to be beating a whole lot stronger.
 



For ways to help, contact your local horse rescue or Days End Horse Rescue.





No comments:

Post a Comment