Tuesday, September 3, 2013

White After Labor Day..

White after Labor Day?  As my girlfriends will tell you, I'm a true blue girl of etiquette.  If the answer isn't in one of the one million etiquette books I have piled on my book shelves, I can usually find the answer via the Miss Manners or Emily Post's websites.  However, I don't need help in this department. I was raised in the South and this is one question that I am certain I know the answer to.  You too, right?

When it comes to fashion as well as etiquette, a girl wants to be self assured, correct and appropriate though, so I did a little research...

 

Depending on who you ask, there seems to be a different answer as to where the "No White after Labor Day" rule began.  Some believe it was a class distinction. White being the uniform of choice for upper class Americans.  Donning white as their summer vacations began and putting them away as their vacations ended.  However, others historians offer up more logical reasons.  White being a cooler color for summer clothing since modern conveniences like air conditioning and ice were non-existent.

Lucky for us, the times, they are a changing!


Did you know that the rule to wearing white year round has officially been given the green light by fashion icons and etiquette experts world wide? Emily Post: White after Labor Day.. it's a go! and Glamour Magazine: Head to Toe Winter White Made One of the Strongest Impressions of the Fall 2013 Runway Season




 Coco Chanel was one of the first to debunk the wearing of white before 
Memorial Day and after Labor Day by wearing it year round...

As we move into cooler temperatures, I personally think white can be a great way to stand apart from the crowd. Suits in wool, brocade and heavier weight lace dresses, cashmere and cable sweaters as well as white pearls accessories are timeless and effortless ways to look fabulous and fashionable. 

In my opinion, the catch to wearing white year round, is to be confidant, hold your head high and perhaps carry a copy of Emily Post's latest book... 

From the looks of this Falls fashion previews, you'll have lots of fun
 





AND you'll be in good company!
 


 Are you in?







4 comments:

  1. I'm so IN! We Gingers LOVE our winter white and quite frankly, a day without my pearls is like a day without mashed potatoes. And that's the way it is in THIS country home. Well done Miss (Leesa) Manners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am 'in' but not sparkling, cloroxed,lineny,polished cotton white....
    And NOT white shoes, but then they tend to be unflattering anyway...
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been proudly wearing white after labor day for years... The trick is to do it right... With white jeans I pair darker,more season-appropriate colors. I live in Connecticut and it will start to cool for us soon. I love nothing more than my white jeans with a black or charcoal cashmere sweater, a cute pair of pumps or my favorite riding boot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done!
    I love white, but it makes me look washed out!

    ReplyDelete