Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Origami Star Lantern - Oh, the Joy!

Along with my love of crafting, I love to travel!  Oh the sites you see when you go where you haven't been before!!

The first time I visited a German Christmas Market, I fell in love.  Everything twinkled and sparkled soooo... 


One of the things I adored were these beautiful origami star lanterns.  Their incandescent light was magical and their fiery brilliance just sparked something inside of me.. Glee!! I just love them!!

 
When trying to decide on another merry decoration for my fiesta, the twinkling joy they gave was something I hadn't forgotten.

I've wanted to try to make them ever since and quite frankly if I had realized how each they were to make, I may have been an expert by now!  I still have some tweaking to do, and I can tell that practice will make perfect however, I'm happy to share a tutorial so you can share in the cheer too!

The supplies needed are very basic:

Fun or fabulous card stock.  *If you only have a basic card stock, you can always decorate after you have designed your star.  
Scissors
Glue
Hole punch
String, ribbon or fishing line
5 copies of star template *I'm attaching one here for you.  This template makes a large star, approximately 16 inches around.


Begin by printing 5 copies of the template I've provided above on 8 1/2 x 11 card stock of your choice.  


 Next, each template from the card stock.  Cut only along the solid lines.



Once your five templates have been cut, you'll begin folding along the dotted lines.  I've found it easiest to begin each by folding down the center dotted line first.  Make sure you put the printing on the inside of your folding so it will be hidden when your star is complete.


When you are finished folding, you will glue each section into a cone shape.  Make sure you glue the tab inside the cone, to keep the clean lines for the outside of the star.  




When you are finished gluing, you will have five cone shapes ready to glue together.  If you want to get fancy with your hole punch, now is the time to do it.  Each section (when folded) will lay nice and flat so holes can be punched evenly all the way through both sides.  


 Now you'll begin to glue the piece together to create your star.  I highly recommend using patience and regular glue over hot glue.  The hot glue seals quickly and mistakes aren't easily repaired.  *says a girl who knows... To begin, pick two cones up and glue them together by gluing two tabs inside the partner cones "non-tabbed" side.  Make sure that you glue the tabs inside the cone, giving the outside of your star, clean lines.




You'll continue gluing all your cones together until all five are connected, with the exception of 1/2 of one side of your fifth cone.   All the tutorials I've read say to leave this open entirely so you can insert a light.  If this is what you'd like to do, then please do.   You'll want to thread string about three quarters of a way up your cone on both sides, insert the light, then tie the thread around the base of the light tightly, also tightening the star into shape.  I haven't done that just yet...because I found another alternative I'm fairly in love with... Instead, I leave about 1/2 of one side unglued so I can wrap copper-wired fairy lights around my star and insert the fairy lights little battery pack into the star.  This way the battery is hidden, but is easily turned on and off without the wires you need to plug into an outlet!  I will say that I do adore the way the lanterns are lit from within..but if plugs are a problem for outdoors parties, etc.. then I say this is a clever little alternative! 




Finally, add your fairy lights and clear fishing line or lovely ribbon to hang...



Your imagination is the only limit!  
 

If I ever go missing, look for me at a German Christmas Market.. 
I'm fairly certain I'll be the girl in the booth with all the sparkling stars... 

Prost!! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! These are so beautiful! I think you've got a new etsy business on your hands! I could buy them but this crafty girl thinks they are beyond the scope of my capabilities. How cute would they be in girl's college dorm rooms?! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete