Thursday, February 13, 2014

Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies


Chocolate dipped shortbread cookies are my special Valentine's favorite, so I bet you can't guess what he's getting this year?!  Shhhhh... it's our little secret (at least for one more day). 
 

Shortbread is one of those basic cookies you can whip up any time, however if you're a lover of gluten-free or fat free treats, you're going to want to skip this recipe.. 

This decadent little simpleton is simply not a member of the American Heart Association. 


The recipe:

3/4 pound unsalted butter-room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
*In a pinch, you could leave out the vanilla and salt and still have a delicious cookie you can be proud of. 

For dipping:
2 cups of your favorite semi-sweet chocolate chips


To begin the cookie making process, I cream together the butter and sugar, then mix in the vanilla. In a separate bowl, I sift together the flour and salt.  Next, I add the two mixtures together and continue mixing on low speed until the dough begins to form. 
When the dough is ready, I place a sheet of parchment paper on a flat surface then pour the dough mixture on to it and form it into a large ball.  
 
Next, I roll and flatten the dough into a long flat oval. I find that this makes it easier to roll all the way out after it has chilled without the major cracking that can happen when making shortbread.  One my oval is ready, I wrap it in plastic and place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
After the dough has chilled it is much easier to roll. I like to roll it to about 1/4 inch thick then I cut it with a 2-inch heart-shaped cutter. 
Once the hearts are ready, I place them on a cookie sheet and freeze for one hour. This ensures the hearts bake perfectly without losing their shape.   *If I am planning on serving them fresh, I just freeze until I'm ready to bake.

I bake the cookies in a preheated, 350 degree oven for 17 to 20 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.  The thicker the cookie the longer they need to cook.


When my cookies are completely cool, I get ready to dip them.

I prepare a fresh sheet of parchment paper on a flat surface to place the dipped cookies on.

I  like to dip 1/2 the cookies at a time to ensure the chocolate doesn't harden during the process.  In order to do this, I only microwave 1/2 the chocolate chips (one cup) on high for 1 minute.  Stir, then repeat for another minute.  Now my chocolate is ready for dipping!


I like the rustic look of just dipping half the cookie in.  There is no rhyme or reason, I just dig in.  The worst thing happens is I don't like the results...  When that happens, I eat my mistake and move on.. :)

I place the dipped cookies on the parchment paper and allow to dry at room temperature for one hour, then I quick pop them into the freezer for 15 minutes if boxing for gift giving.


The final step is my favorite...  I find a fabulous gift box or I plate them for serving! 


Be sure to let me know if you try these little gems!  They are the way to my man's heart.  Here's hoping you love them too.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment